Tuesday, 28 January 2014

How To: Teal Cut Crease

Upon completing my review of the Sugarpill Chromalust loose eyeshadows I thought it might be a good idea to showcase one of my favourite shades in a tutorial. So here it is, my teal cut crease using 'Darling'. Click 'read more' for the full tutorial!





Products used: 
  • Too Faced Smokey Eye Palette (shades 'Smokin' Hot' and 'Up In Smoke') 
  • Elf Mineral Eyeshadow Primer
  • Ben Nye White Cream Colour (as base for bright colours)
  • Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow in 'Darling'
  • Elf Cream Eyeliner in Black
  • Illamasqua Gel Liner in 'Infinity'



  • Essence Maximum Definition Mascara
  • Coastal Scents Pro Blending Fluff
  • Urban Decay double ended brush (comes in Vice 2 palette)
  • No name brush for distributing intense colour into the crease
  • Anastasia Beverly Hills Small Angled Brush #15
  • Real Techniques Detailer brush
  • No name flat concealer brush
  • Anastasia Beverly Hills Eye Covet eyeliner in 'Noir'

Remember, you don't need the same brushes or products as I use. Anything similar will work just fine too! Lets get down to it.



1. Step one is always to prime. I like to use the Elf Mineral Eyeshadow primer (I've heard that it's comparable to the Urban Decay Primer potion. It's only $3!) We want to apply this all over the lid making sure it's spread evenly.




2. This is the tricky part. We're going to add our cut crease with a soft cream liner. I used the Elf Cream liner. Make sure you have a steady hand for this part. Resting your elbow on something will help a lot. Take it slow and add a little bit of product at a time. We want to make the crease just above the natural crease, this will make for a more dramatic and slightly more visible cut crease. 
This brush is the Real Techniques Detailer or lip brush.


Aim for something like this but remember that everyone has a different eye shape!




3. Now we're going to take a fluffy brush of some kind and buff that liner out to work on making it less harsh. Try to keep the product close to the crease. We don't want it to go too far up or too far onto the mobile lid. This may take some time and look a little bit weird at first but stick with it and it'll look awesome in the end!

The brush I'm using here is a Coastal Scents Pro Blending Fluff.

Try to avoid the tail of your crease when you're blending!




4. Now we're going to further add to the dimension of the cut crease. Taking a deep brown colour (I used 'Up In Smoke' from the Too Faced Smokey Eye palette) on a fluffy brush, using a gentle pressure, add the brown eyeshadow above the cut crease. Take your time with the blending. It's tedious but it definitely pays off!





5. Sometimes you'll find after all of your blending your cut crease has lost some of it's depth. Let's add some back with a black eyeshadow and a flat and thin brush. Remember, less is more! You can always add more but you can't take it away if you've applied too much. The eyeshadow I used is called 'Smokin' Hot' and it's out of the Too Faced Smokey Eye palette.


This brush is a no name, sorry!

6. Now it's time to start prepping for our amazingly bright 'Darling' loose eyeshadow! For any bright look I like to use a Ben Nye cream colour in white. This not only helps a loose eyeshadow or pigment stick but it also aids in the colour being as vibrant as possible! You'll want to use a small synthetic brush for this. This type of brush is easier to clean and spreads cream colour a lot better. Be very careful not to get the cream colour base on your crease! Start from the bottom and slowly work your way up to just below the crease.




Be extra careful towards the tail of the crease. I pulled my eye (gently!) outwards slightly to get a sharp line.



7. Time for teal! Start off by spraying a little bit of water on your brush. We don't want the brush to be soaked, just slightly damp. Using a dense packing brush, take some of the loose shadow and begin packing it onto the mobile lid, again being careful not to take it too far into the crease to avoid messing it up! Feel free to spray your brush with more water if it starts to dry out. You might need to switch to a small brush when you start to get towards to outside corner/tail of the crease.

Urban Decay Vice 2 palette brush.




8. Time to smoke out our bottom lash line.Taking the same Real Techniques small synthetic brush that we used for our cut crease, take a small amount of the Elf cream liner and carefully line your bottom lash line. Cream liner is very soft, so be careful and take note of how far down you're bringing the product. We want smokey, but not panda eyes.

After we line the lash line we're going to take a tiny amount of black eyeshadow from the Too Faced palette and smoke it all out. Remember, less is more!



I also added some of the brown from the same palette to further blend.



9.
 Time to line our water line and tight line. You don't have to tight line if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I find that some liners are easier to use than other. For example, pencil liners can be extra uncomfortable because of the wood surrounding the product. I much prefer a twist up eyeliner for these areas. I used the Anastasia Beverly Hills Eye Covet liner in 'Noir'.






Time to add mascara! Winged liner is also perfect for this look. I couldn't manage to get a good photo of myself applying but I'm thinking of doing a winged liner tutorial at some point.






10. Lashes! I tend to always wear false lashes. Especially with looks like this one. I wasn't blessed with amazing long lashes but if you were, by all means, go without the falsies! The lashes I used for this look are Eylure Katy Perry stacked with Cherry Blossom lashes in #74.






That's it guys! I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial. If any of you decide to try any of the looks I post I would love to see them! Tag me @dixiewolff on instagram.






5 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful! Where do you buy your Ben NYE products from? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely! I get my Ben Nye from Scotty's in Sydney. They also stock Sugarpill and other awesome stuff. http://www.scottysmakeup.com.au/

      Delete
  2. I love your tutorials! So easy to understand! Thank u for ur hard work, not everybody's willing to take time to teach others specially people who u don't even know! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! :) x

      Delete
  3. This is so very beautiful! I'm glad I discovered this blog of yours, you're extremely talented. Though would it be possible for you to film some tutorials? I would like to see how you blend out the cream liner crease.

    ReplyDelete